Thursday 24 February 2011

Unwell

I dare not elaborate why. God created some to be dense, I guess. =/

I'll focus on the good stuff.




--- --- ---


As per memo #47 of DepEd, we are enjoined (which is a better-sounding term for required) to hang EDSA-related banners, tarpaulins, yellow buntings or flags in conspicuous places of the school. We decided to go grassroots and tied yellow ribbons on some of the trees in school. I purchased all of the yellow ribbons in National Bookstore at Paseo de Sta. Rosa yesterday. They only had two 45m rolls - for the sheer amount of trees we have here that wasn't enough. Had the DepEd memo been released earlier, we would have had time to deck more ribbons in school, and probably drape a yellow cloth somewhere in one (or both) buildings. So, given the time constraint, this is good enough, I guess. =P

People Power is no longer an event exclusive to this country. Other countries have been successful in their own "bloodless" revolutions. For this country though, I always wonder if the nationalism that EDSA has sparked in every Filipino is real...wait, that didn't come out right. Let's try this again: I always wonder if the brand of nationalism we now have began in EDSA and also ended in EDSA, cause the more I think about our sense of nationalism, the more I realize that Filipinos don't really have a firm or real sense of it. As a Pinay who has lived in this country for my entire life, I feel that my sense of nationalism is just skin-deep, and only penetrates further than that when I feel threatened.

Sure, we wear shirts that sport the Philippine Islands on it, or Ninoy/Cory what-have-yous, but these are but fads. When the fad has come and gone, and these t-shirts become basahan or what-have-you, or if Pacquiao is defeated or retired, what icon can we look to that defines our brand of nationalism? Yes, we speak out when our race is lambasted by some personality, but is this something that we do out of pride for our race and nation, or just pride for ourselves? I always wrestle with these questions, and I think I will not find concrete, lasting answers to these for a long time. Maybe time will bring the answer. A hundred plus years for a country is still young, after all.

I honestly think that Filipinos who live outside the country have a deeper sense of nationalism than those who are living here. I kind of envy those people - those who aren't ashamed to wear a Three Stars and a Sun Shirt in another country, or jackets that sport the Philippine flag. I honestly can't see myself wearing something nationalistic, except na lang if it's Team Manila merchandise. Everytime I see a shirt with Rizal on it I always find my wallet empty. Haaaay. One day, Team Manila Rizal shirt. One day.




--- --- ---


When I'm depressed in the bundoks, I try to find ways to divert myself from what I'm feeling. So this morning, I cooked breakfast. :p

Everything I needed to know about cooking omelettes I learned from playing Cooking Mama on The Green Menace (for those of you who don't know my gadgets, that's my iPod touch). XD

I had a salmon omelette for breakfast today. The salmon I had cooked on Monday, and since it's the last working day of the week, I usually dispose of my leftovers this way. This would have been perfect if I had cheese...

I love dark chocolate. I love Swiss Miss's Dark Chocolate Sensation. I love dark chocolate. Sana may makakuha ng hint diyan.

These two coupled with a good book, the cool February bundoks breeze and the song of nearby birds made a happy enough breakfast this morning. It's good to be thankful for quaint things like these.




--- --- ---


Thank God the week is done, I feel like a zombie gone back to life, back back to life.

Yeah men. /end Usher mode

No comments:

Post a Comment