Friday 6 January 2012

Out with the WOW, in with the fun


Yes, this blog post will join the rest of its kind in cyberspace that talked about the new DOT's slogan for the international market.

I'll spare the pleasantries and just say this - I think this campaign will work. It's not WOW PHILIPPINES-superlative, yet this slogan could possibly be better than a superlative - because it's comparative! To those who are still not quite over the WOW PHILIPPINES campaign, I think it's time we tried something else, cause I think if this campaign here is executed well, we could topple something as epic as Malaysia Truly Asia (which is my favorite Asian tourism campaign). 

Regarding the slogan copying the 19-something Switzerland ad, all I can say here is that nothing is new under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:8-10 - my favorite creativity-related verse). All of us were influenced by somebody. Artists have their influences, so do politicians and scientists. What's important is if we make everything that has influenced us into something we can call our own. This slogan, I believe, is something we can make our own - if it's executed right.

Since social media will be the main driver of this campaign, one challenge that I see is that the slogan will be subject to the interpretation of many people. You can only hope these people who FB/tweet about it have good intentions, otherwise if any of it goes viral, you may as well kiss this campaign goodbye. But knowing Pinoy mentality, they will rally towards a cause that will awaken their pride, or their Photoshop skills. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment