Tuesday 10 January 2012

More than the dress and the voice


If you know FFVIII well enough, you know what song this is. It's Eyes on Me, the song Julia Heartilly sings to Laguna Loire, and it is also the main theme of FFVIII.

Julia was in love with Laguna, but she was too nervous to tell him anything. Laguna, on the other hand, felt the same way, but was too clumsy to even make a move every time she visited the lounge where Julia plays. 

I've always liked this song, but since it's only known by geeks a few people, not everyone was crazy about it. It also didn't help that during the time it was released, listening to Chinese/Japanese/Korean singers was considered extremely weird (right now it's just weird-ish I think, hahaha!). 

--- --- ---

I could finally strike out my wish to sing this song in public (without discrimination - excluding karaoke gimiks of course!). I was asked by a good great friend of mine in high school to sing this for his wedding. It was to be sung during the wedding march of his dashing bride - a schoolmate during high school. 

Now, singing a wedding march for me is no walk in the park. It's actually in my top 5 hard-to-sing-in-these-situations-list (first are funerals) because you absolutely CANNOT mess up a perfect, once-in-a-lifetime moment. When I'm really nervous, my throat dries up, and so I drink a lot of warm water, which then leads me to puke (all cause-and-effect, really). XD

The song went pretty well (my employers, este, groom and bride loved it). On my part, I wish I  rehearsed the Faye Wong version, because that's what was played and I only knew at the moment I was supposed to sing that's how it will go down. I was in love with the Angela Aki version that I didn't even consider the original. /facepalm /headdesk 

How I wish I had a video of it cause I was being accompanied by an accordion, violin, and flute - apart from piano and guitar! How epic was that?! I don't think I have any pictures of that part too...I guess I was too nervous that I didn't even think of using my camera. /le sigh

--- --- ---

Yesterday was the first day of class. I hope to get a better grade this time around, so I have the guts to take the plunge and take two subjects next term. I don't want to be delayed anymore.

The classroom this time is in Yuchengco, which means colder temps and smaller desks. LS is old and finding your room there is a bit of a challenge, but their big desks make up for all that. 

Did I mention that Yuchengco Hall was my building crush before (when it was new)? Now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment