Wednesday 25 May 2011

I emailed my Congressman

Here's something I learned during my last LLFP (Lasallian Leadership Formation Program) that I'm putting to practice. I emailed my Congressman asking him to rethink his stance on the RH Bill. I'm publishing my email to him in the blogosphere for easy access. =D

BTW, my congressman is Amado Bagatsing. I'm hoping I get a reply since I posted my email address, plus I think my letter to him is very civil.


Dear Mr. Congressman,

Thank you very much for reading my email. As a voting citizen, taxpayer, and a resident of the 5th District of the City of Manila, I would like to air to you my sentiments regarding your stand on the RH Bill.

When I come out of my house through the gate of our apartment, I see children on the streets. Most are dressed in rags. Oftentimes I see a girl who is being raised by her grandmother, who is a basurera. I am inclined to believe that she has yet to experience formal schooling.

Along Quirino Avenue, I see slums. These slums have an abundance of children. They are thin. Most are not in schools. But more than that, I see pregnant women in these parts of the city who tend to these children, most of which have not even reached the age of five, and they are made responsible not only for these young people, but also for the life that they are carrying.

I support the RH Bill because it is pro-choice. I am questioning some parts of it, such as making contraceptives and other related birth-control medicines being made available in clinics (including schools). But overall, I think it is a solid solution to the problem of poverty.

In an SWS survey made in 2009, 7 out of 10 ManileƱans support the RH Bill. The survey may be a bit dated, but in a more recent survey conducted by the same agency last January 2010, 43% of people living in Metro Manila will vote for pro-RH Bill candidates and 78% favor access to all legal means of family planning. The response to the latter was more than 60% across all classes; aside from that it also transcended religious affiliation, with over 60% for both Catholics and non-Catholics being in favor of obtaining access to legal means of family planning.

Given these statistics, Honorable Congressman, I implore that you please rethink your stance on this matter. During your campaign, sinabi mo na ikaw ay KABAKA ng ManileƱo. It was your name that I put in the ballot last year.

Poverty is something that I witness every single day. Powerlessness for women - especially in birth control and management - is a reality. Gone are the days when more children equate to more hands that will help in the household. At this day and age, the prevailing law is survival of the fittest.

The Preamble of the Constitution states that we are supposed to promote the common good. Does your stand put the welfare and sentiments of your constituents over and above your own? I only ask, Honorable Congressman, that the voice of the people of Manila be heard loud and clear in the House of Representatives.

Thank you very much.

PS: Regarding sex education in schools, I would like to let you know that during my 5th grade I was already given a lesson in sex education. I studied in one of the premier Catholic all-girls' schools in Manila. Contrary to the belief of some people who have aired their sentiments in televised debates, no "techniques" are taught. It was simply a lesson on how the reproductive systems of both male and female function. This is already being done in many schools even before the RH Bill came to the scene, Mr. Congressman. It is nothing new.

No comments:

Post a Comment