Saturday 14 May 2011

Doomsday

If you're like me who passes by the intersection of Osmeña Highway and Buendia on a semi-regular basis, you must have seen the Judgment Day billboard that hung above the PNR. The same ad was also placed in the Pasay Road PNR; I'm pretty sure it's present on other areas as well. (I wish I had a picture, but you'll simply have to imagine it for now, hehehehehe)

I usually do not pay any attention to rapture predictions, especially those that specify a date. I think there are more pressing matters that require immediate attention, such as the RH Bill. There was a time (I think, in high school) when I took these kind of things seriously. It probably didn't help that I studied in a school that was so gung-ho about these things that, being a teenager, I was easily dragged into the craze.

But last time I checked, this same person who's saying that the world will (start to) end on May 21, 2011 made a doomsday prediction sometime during the 90s as well. Obviously, it didn't happen, and said person attributes it to a "mathematical error". It also doesn't help that pretty much every prediction that the world will end on a specific date or in such-and-so month/time have passed without so much of a sign of God putting an end to all things. =/

I guess...what I'm trying to say, is this: will the world be a different place if we knew when the day or hour will judgment day be? Will this mean that people will try to live godly lives? Will crime rate go down? Will we not be fighting over the RH bill and instead foster unity?

But honestly, it doesn't matter if we know when the world will end, because these things should be the pursuit of every individual, because we already are in the end times. I'm no Bible scholar but if you've read your Bible, Jesus has mentioned the signs, and He himself said that we should be alert and on our guard, because no one will know when that time will come. (Mark 13:33) Thus, now is the time to prepare.

And here I leave all theology (cause I'm not one a theologian [ETA: epic typo fail LOL] myself), and go back to (Christian) practicality. There is no use fussing over doomsday because (1) it will surely come and (2) there's no reason to fear it if you know God in a personal way.

If May 21 passes without so much of a major miracle that could only be attributed to the end of days, then I'll probably be blogging an "I TOLD YOU SO" post, just for the fun of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment