Monday 27 June 2011

Choo choo trains


Here's a map that every commuter in the city knows. It's the LRT-MRT map. All three lines of it. Amongst ourselves (ourselves meaning me and college classmates), we inject some SaiMono into these train lines for fun; hence, Yellow (LRT 1) is the Kou Line, Blue (MRT-3) is the Ran Line, and Purple (LRT-2) is the Shi Line. We especially find the coincidence of the LRT-2 being named the "purple" line very amusing, since the LRT-2 is the shiniest and largest of all three lines in the metro. (Ang biro namin, imperial line kasi, tapos ODA pa ng Japan XD).

I don't ride the trains often. My most frequented line is the MRT, followed closely by the LRT-1, because when I go on OL gimiks - whether they are in Makati, Ortigas or Quezon City - these two trains are my preferred way of getting from Point A to Point B. What's wonderful about the LRT-1 is that one of the train stations is just a ten-minute walk from my house.

So here I am, a not-so-frequent train rider, who's about to share my thoughts on train riding in this city.

Why do people love to gather near the doors of the train?

Take my train ride from EDSA (at LRT 1) to Vito Cruz today, for example. When I came inside the train, my first instinct was to find a spot that wasn't crowded. I guess I don't have to spell out the reasons why, right? (if yes, it's a matter of minimizing violations of personal space) However, my brand of common sense apparently isn't so common, cause most people will insist on standing near the doors even if their destination isn't less than three stations away.  They would rather be bumped and shoved and outbalanced than going to a place in the train with more breathing room. They'd rather increase their discomfort in an already uncomfortable situation.

I've experienced standing near the doors of the train a number of times. Most, if not all of the instances these happened were times when I didn't have a choice. The volume of people was just too much that I couldn't wriggle my way to the inner parts of the train. What I can tell you though, without a shadow of a doubt, was that when I had an opportunity to slither my way inside, I'd do it.

In my personal commuting experience, I've noticed people who situate themselves near the doors who "mark" their territory or space in the train. Now, sometimes I do this, but if giving way means more comfort for my stay there, I'd do it. These people, however, they're the type that even if push comes to shove, whether there are ten or twenty coming in on the doors at one stop, they will not relinquish their chosen spot near the exit - at any cost! They will stand there, get angry at times if they get hurt by people coming in or out, but they will stick to their spot as if they've applied epoxy on their shoes.

I do remember a time when I started commuting by train wherein I was advised to look for unoccupied locations inside the train the moment I step in. And this I distinctly remember- do not linger at the train doors as much as possible (in fact, I think this is one of the reminders that's endlessly being played in the trains' PA system), When my stop is approaching, I should discreetly (and politely) make my way towards the exit, but the priority should be to secure a spot where I can firmly plant both feet on the floor.

This method works for me because I am so particular with my personal space. When you violate my personal space, I will black list you for life unless by some act of genius/reconciliation I decide to change my mind. XD If you'll ask me if I've ever not gotten down the train in my station before the doors closed, the answer is no. I get down on time, cause I prepare for my descent - kind of like the way an airplane does.

Which brings me back to my question - why do people love to gather near the doors of the trains?

I guess, the most obvious reason of all is that they want to be the first to get down when their stop comes (whether it's the next or the last station). Or, following this logic, they're afraid that if they stay at the far end of the train, they will not have enough time to get out.

The thing is...you can get out of the train if you've got timing + diskarte. Now, about that "being first" thing...I really don't know. Would I like to be first one out? Well, it wouldn't hurt. But for public transpo (whether train or bus), I've realized that being first out doesn't amount to anything much. I consider being "out" more important than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment