Tuesday 8 March 2011

Musings of the Manila-girl-stuck-in-the-bundoks kind

I tweeted and tumbled about this already, but it's good to be consistent all throughout.

That's the birthplace of Jose Rizal. It has GREEN walls. (If you go to Tumblr you can biggify above image.)

I have lived in Metro Manila for most of my life, but I have been in the province many times to know what an old Pinoy house looks like. I've seen my share of those in Malolos - before it became a city, it had kalesas and old houses nearly everywhere - there was even one beside the bungalow of my lolo and lola's house way back then.

I know that the exterior walls of these houses are usually NOT painted green.

Prior to my visit yesterday, I have been to the birthplace of the National Hero when I was in grade school. It was too long ago that I don't remember much of the details, but I do recall that the walls were not green - they were white, off-white, or beige. Hindi luntian. (OHA! ALAM KO ANG TAGALOG NG GREEN! WAZZUP KETCHUP!)

Probably they painted it green so it could match the blue and yellow banners that have been put up on the fence around the perimeter of the house (cause blue + yellow = green). Even so, it still looks weird.


--- --- ---


If I had to give one reason for loving the five days I spend out here in the bundoks, it would be this:


I get to see the sky more often.

Of course, I still see the sky when I'm in Manila, but not without a building or two (or fifteen) obstructing your view. Here in the bundoks (and if I may borrow a quote from Rurouni Kenshin Ishinshishi e no Requiem) the bluest sky is infinitely high and crystal clear. (gosh I love that line...)

The sky here is wonderful. Many times I'd be awestruck with the cloud formations, and at one occasion I was dumbfounded when I saw the sky transitioning from cyan to blue. It's AWESOME, and it's the kind of sky that's exclusive to land that's unadulterated and pre-building-infested.

Like here.

--- --- ---


I post things like these about loving the province, but by Thursday I know I'll be missing the buildings, the humidity of the city, the pollution - do not forget the pollution! - and the traffic!

Manila, I keep coming back to Manila...

No comments:

Post a Comment