Friday 24 August 2012

"I want to stay single and let my hair flow in the wind as I ride through the glen, firing arrows into the sunset!"



I was FINALLY able to watch Brave last night. With company. (You win at life, EK. Slow clap for you.)

This is my favorite movie this year, after The Avengers. However, I must admit that I was kind of misled into believing that this movie was an adventure of a warrior princess that was of epic proportions, and that the theme of the movie is to create your own "Brave" story. For me, it was hardly that, but something more raw.

This movie should have been released on Mother's Day.

Merida is the Disney/Pixar Princess that I can relate to the most (second would be Belle, but honestly, aside from her love for books, there's not much to say about how she is like me. XD). Of course, Scottishness, bow-and-arrow adeptness, and marriage proposals aside, her struggles were so relatable. I almost cried inside the cinema in some parts. 

Aside from Merida's awesomeness, there's also the animation. It was SPOT ON. There were times I was on the verge of saying "HNNNNG" inside the cinema. Speaking of animation, La Luna (the short prior to Brave starting) was really cute. I love the twist they had with the moon phases. Anyway, I digress. Animation. HNNNNGGG. 

The music was also flawless. You got the bagpipes, harps, fiddles, and the vibe that makes Scottish music Scottish (I don't know what else to call it!). The only letdown (which isn't major) was that I didn't hear the song that was used in the trailer (I LOVE that song), but there were still Scottish/Gaelic songs sung in the movie.

The only major letdown for me was that you didn't really get to see how good Merida was with her archery when bad turned to worse. She was definitely badass in the betrothal bit, but on instances when it really mattered, like her face-off with Mor'du, it wasn't of much use. It's like the push for a "warrior princess" was half-baked.

Aside from that, the movie made me really happy last night. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment