Sunday 27 November 2011

Birthday month splurging; slice-of-life blogging

November is - without a doubt - the most expensive time of the year for me. It isn't surprising because it's my birthday month, first of all, and it's the month before Christmas. Of course, if I do my math, December is definitely more expensive than November, but due to (of course) 13th month I have more cash on hand after all the holiday spending is done.

Two weeks ago, I bought 1Q84 (I have yet to read it - still finishing Norwegian Wood). This weekend, I splurged on jewelry. The last time I spent money on the same kind of items was...July? And they were small earrings with prices that were extremely marked-down. Since November to December is the time when most bazaars are organized, I went to World Trade Center to check out what I could buy.

Before today, Mama already bought me three earrings from the same bazaar yesterday (technically, she didn't buy it for me - she bought a bunch of earrings at wholesale and she gave me the opportunity to pick out the pairs I liked). From that bunch, I picked three. Then, she convinced me to go back with her the next day - and so I did.

I'm very happy with the stuff I bought. I did go over budget though. /facepalm This weekend's damage finds are the following:
  • Escada Ocean Lounge
  • Four earrings
  • Two rings
  • Skechers sandals
If there's any piece of jewelry that I'm willing to spend a lot for, it will have to be the ring. I think my rings are more expensive than all my earrings (bought mostly from tiangges) put together. For instance: when I got my DVD copy of the fullscreen edition of The Return of The King, it came with brochure for LOTR jewelry. It included *drumroll please* The One Ring in gold and silver versions, complete with the Elvish inscription One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to find them all and in the darkness bind them! I really wanted to buy one for myself, but the dollar amount was so darn high that it would take a miracle for me to afford it with my college allowance coupled with my then-part time job. Anyway, I digress. I bought two rings - on my pointer is a handmade amethyst ring, and on my pinky is a ring made out of bone (from what source I didn't ask XD. I only know that it was imported from Vietnam). 

  

Here are two of the four earrings I got. I finally got my first pair of feather earrings. The ones I've been seeing are too expensive (my expensive for earrings is more than Php150 - wahahahahaha!), and this pair only cost me 75 bucks (yay!). The other one is again, Bohemian-inspired (my favorite style for earrings).

I cannot wait for the next payday (which is this week, HURRAH!)

--- --- ---

I don't follow a lot of blogs, except of course those that are written by my friends. I do read blogs of non-friends, and it's not the typical movie or fashion blog...I actually fancy people who blog about themselves and  what happens in a day of their life (weird, huh? parang stalker tuloy ako...wahahahaha!). I like it more if they relate their stories in a way that is effortless - like they're not trying hard to be eloquent, and yet their writing style is very fluid. I actually follow a blog of this person who's living in Scotland who does a-day-in-her-life posts like it was copied from some novel. I'm a sucker for those kind of things. 8)

I have come across some blogs that do slice-of-life who try to be profound, but their profound-ness (for lack of a better word) is really crappy. I could sense if a blogger is trying hard to write in a way that is different from the manner he speaks (and I know this isn't just me, cause I tried showing a gadawful blog post I found to an officemate, and she concluded along with me that said blogger is trying so hard to be eloquent that he achieved anything but eloquence). I don't exactly know how to quantify how I sense this...but here's my best try at it: if I feel uncomfortable reading a blog post, then it is highly likely that the blogger wrote it in a manner that he isn't used to.  

I guess...the reason why I'm saying all this is that if you really want to talk about your life online, and you want to be believable, then the best way to do it is to write the way you speak. It adds to the authenticity of your post, plus you won't come across as some poser. If you'd like to think otherwise, even Grace D. Chong, who won a Palanca Award, blogs in a very down-to-earth way. 

--- --- ---

And so ends November this week. It is (soon will be was) a very tough month, but I know I'm learning,  growing, and healing. =)

If you know what I'm going through and you've felt the brunt or the worst of it but responded with patience,  thank you. It will take some time for me to heal, but I'm getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment