Tuesday 13 December 2011

Movie time

As (I have) promised (myself) early this year, I watched The Adventures of Tintin today. It was supposed to be yesterday in 3D, but stuff happened. So today, I got to see it but in 2D only. I think the experience would have been complete if it was in 3D.

Anyway, IT WAS AWESOME. Watching this series as a kid and seeing it rendered with such detail (even in 2D the rendering was so beautiful, everyone looked near-human) made the Php180 worth it. Personally, seeing Snowy chew through the rope had nostalgia written all over it.

Now, I'm not really a Tintin purist. Yes, I've read the comics when I was in grade school, but I'm not so much of an addict that I can remember if I read the comics from which this film was adapted (which Wikipedia says is a combination of The Secret of the Unicorn, Red Rackham's Treasure, and The Crab With The Golden Claws). Some say that it didn't stay true to the comics, which is (of course) not really surprising - it's rare that a Hollywood adaptation stayed true to its novel/comic roots anyway.

Having said all of that, being someone who watched this on TV and read some of the comics as a kid, this was such a treat watching on the big screen. I did feel that the Thompson/Thompson slapstick could have used more effort, but everything else was very satisfactorily done. If there's a sequel, I'm definitely watching it. I hope there will be more characters in there, like Professor Calculus.

--- --- ---


The next movie to watch on my list is my favorite Disney movie of all time - in THREE-FREAKING-DEE! The Lion King 3D opens tomorrow! I really want to watch on opening day, but alas, I have commitments. I intend to watch it on Saturday lunchtime (which I can do since finals is over and done with).

I wonder if I'll cry watching Circle of Life, or watching Mufasa die, or the Mufasa-in-the-clouds-saying "Simba, you have forgotten me" - in 3D...gosh, just thinking about it right now makes me want to watch it even more! 

(By the way, when I watched this for the first time as a kid, those were the three scenes where I cried. Not even Finding Nemo came close to this.)

--- --- ---

The last two days have been nice. I go back to work tomorrow. I hope to have more consistent posts this time around. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment