Friday 16 December 2011

Asante sana, Disney 3D


As (I have) promised (myself) in an earlier post, I watched The Lion King 3D tonight. I actually was planning on watching it tomorrow, but when I looked at the schedule, I didn't think it would be a good idea. So, I decided to go for tonight instead.

OHMAYGASSS GAIS IT WAS EPIC. THE GRASS WAS GREENER, THE SMOKE SMOKIER, THE STARS STARRIER!!! EVERYTHING WAS AWESOME AND NOTHING HURTS. 

I know I’ve got a big TLK bias, this being my all-time favorite Disney movie, but if you’ve watched the movie countless times like I have and you think you’re getting the same (asante sana squash) banana, you’re not. They added so many layers of detail to this movie, so much so that it’s as if Zazu’s wings popped out of the screen when he was flying towards Mufasa, the stampede scene became even more ravaging, the stars actually sparkle (and it was very believable too - when Mufasa said, "Look at the stars," I actually stared at the stars for the rest of the sequence), and the rising sun scene at the start of the movie … ye gads, I got goosebumps all over. The colors seriously pop out of the screen - they don’t look faded or worn over compared to when you see it on DVD or Disney Channel.

I almost cried when Simba found Mufasa dead. I almost cried when Circle of Life was coming to an end. And the "Simba, you have forgotten me" sequence - TEARS. Some things never change. =)

The 3D version is so awesome that I think I will always refer to the 2D as substandard from here on in. (HOHMGIWANTBLURAYNAO)

As expected, part of the crowd tonight were families with small kids. After Circle of Life ended and the loud beat of the drum sounded off and the title in red over black showed on screen, I heard a kid ask his parents: "Tapos na?" I had to smile, because that was the exact same reaction I had when I first watched it 17 years ago (wow, it was that long na pala...)

Fast forward to after the stampede - when the screen showed that Mufasa was dead, the same kid (I'm assuming) blurted out, "He's sleeping!" Again, I smiled (while trying not to cry - which surprisingly, wasn't so hard) because that was what I thought at first too when I watched it as a kid. Looking back on it now, it was not actually Mufasa's death that was traumatizing, it was Simba's reaction to it that scarred me for life.

After Simba was banished by Scar, not a sound could be heard from the kids watching. I wanted to see if any of them were crying, but I was just so engrossed with the added detail that I couldn't afford to look away.

Anyway, again...if you loved TLK but you're thinking twice of watching it on 3D - DON'T THINK, JUST DO IT. I don't think you'll have any regrets. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment