Thursday 7 June 2012

Dissolved | Mixing and matching

This Monday, I got the biggest scare of my grad school life. My Copywriting class was dissolved.

DISSOLVED. This was unheard of during my undergrad (you pretty much should expect a full class almost all the time with the sheer size of CBE), and so when it was announced. I thought, "Now what the heck am I supposed to do now? MY MISCELLANEOUS FEES ARE JUST AS HIGH AS THREE UNITS OF LOAD, AND NOW I AM DEPRIVED OF ONE SUBJECT?!"

There was a lot of drama that involved going to the Department, the Registrar's Office, and the Library (trip to the latter wasn't related to requesting for a special class, but simply to return the equipment I borrowed, which should have been used if weren't for the announcement). I don't know if I was high on something, but when I came home I didn't eat even if I was hungry, and it took me a long time to get to sleep, and I woke up before 4AM, which was waaaaay too early. 

To cut the story short, today I got an email that the class has been made regular again. /sigh  But seriously, I cannot endure again the drama of a dissolved class. Ayoko na.

--- --- ---

Okay. Hot topic on the Internet this week - the Bayo ad. How quickly did we move on from the Coronanovela, people? XD Anyway, I digress.

I don't find the add offensive. I just think it is poorly worded. I am 100% Filipino, but if you've seen me, I can easily pass for another Asian race: Chinese (I get this all the time), Korean (which intensifies when I am beside one, or heavens, if I sing a K-pop song), and surprisingly, Japanese (now this I find kind of odd, cause I fangirl Japanese people, and I don't look like them at all. But when I dress like one, let's just say that it's a story for another time. XD). I'm pretty sure I could also pass for Malaysian.

I bring this up because of this: How do you define what the "Filipino" race is, to begin with? As early as Grade 1, we were taught that our race primarily sprung from the Ita, Indones, and Malay. They were immigrants, and not indigenous to the land. Add to that the 333 years of Spanish colonization, which resulted into the mestizos and mestizas. Oh, and let us not forget the chinitas and chinitos as well, cause the Chinese thrived during the colonial period as well. 

What's my point? I think that the Filipino race has ALWAYS been mixed from the very beginning. Yes, there are some theories that there were indigenous people prior to the arrival of the I, I, and M - but it's simply theory. The point is, we have been mixed and matched from the start pa lang. Almost everyone has claim to Spanish blood (I have, for one. No verified claim for Chinese - yet!) that it's hardly anything special - unless, of course, you are almost pure-bred mestizo. 

Anyway, this isn't really a big deal (for me). If I have to break down my mix, I'll have to say I'm 57% water, 20% Lasallian, 10% mad, and 3% Trekkie. 

I laugh at mixing and matching. I do what I want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment