Tuesday 26 July 2011

Opposites

I was at Wendy's in Greenbelt. I was quietly taking a bite on my BMM and poking at their "natural" fries. Being the kind of person who loves reading food labels, I learned why it was natural: potato skin on, cooked in zero trans fat oil, seasoned with sea salt. Interesting. Mine needed a pinch more of the last detail. My eyes were alternating between a book I was reading on project management and the people walking outside the restaurant. The weather was dismal. The would be no sun for a few days.

A tall lady crossed my side of the restaurant. She was thin, the kind of lady that Mango loves - a size 0 body. She sat down at the far end of our side. She was heavily covered with a good-looking trench and skinny jeans. She unwrapped a burger, took a plastic knife and gingerly cut it in half. She took one half with a tissue and set it aside, the other half she carefully wrapped again and placed it on another side. Her fries (like mine), she poked at, then ate one or two pieces, then left the rest untouched. She focused on consuming the halved burger.

A few minutes later, a guy sauntered to our side, adjacent to Size 0 Lady. When my eyes wandered off from my book I saw on his tray four hamburger de luxes, one order of spaghetti and a biggie-sized drink. I thought at first that the food was for two people, but the single drink order made me think otherwise. His body build was large, but not so much that he was obese. I maintained my stance that he ordered for two. I went back to my book.

Later, I saw that Size 0 Lady already consumed her half burger. There were still fries on her tray, but she wasn't touching it. She stood up and went to the counter, then returned with a plastic bag. To my left, I heard a sound that was like someo clucking their tongue. When I saw where it was coming from, it was from Biggie Guy, who was consuming his spaghetti as fast as it probably took for him to order all of his food. He was eating with his mouth open, smacking his lips at every possible interval.

Size 0 Lady's head was down, her tapered fingers clutched around her cellphone. In front of her North Face paper bag was the plastic bag she asked from the counter. The other burger half and the natural fries were now in it. My gaze returned to Biggie Guy. He was on to his first hamburger.

I realized I still had iced tea left. I sipped it, making sure to indulge every gulp since it was seldom that I go to Wendy's. I tried to concentrate on my project management book, but I couldn't help but hear Biggie Guy's lip-smacking just two feet away from me.

I reached for the fries container and took the last few underseasoned pieces. I looked slightly to my left. Biggie Guy just finished his second hamburger, and was on to the third. My eyes widened at the gastronomical feat, yet I couldn't help but appreciate how neatly folded and arranged the used hamburger wrappers were by his side, how the spaghetti styrofoam box was closed shut sitting at the far end, and as he unwrapped the third burger, he took the top bun and made sure that the ketchup was spread evenly over. He worked on it with the knife, spreading it just to be perfectly sure. He placed it back, and eats it.

I realized my meal was finished. Not wanting to be late for my 4PM appointment, I wiped my mouth with the single sheet of tissue I was given. I took my wallet and checked how many bills I had left, then shoved the receipt in it. I saw Size 0 Lady stand up and leave, her medium-sized drink that was over half full was left alone at her table.

I stood up and made my exit. "Thank you Ma'am! Come again!" I tilted my head back and said thank you to the people at the counter.

Even when I left, I could still hear him smacking his lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment